Not happy with paintings produced as a commission

Discuss anything and everything art related with other forum members

PostNot happy with paintings produced as a commission

by SJWarrington » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:50 am

Hello, I'm new to this forum and signed up because of a 'situation' I am currently in. Apologies for the length of this post.

In October I posted an experimental piece of art work on my Facebook page. It was stuff that I don't usually do (or even like to be honest and I have now deleted the post). Unfortunately my eagle-eyed sister spotted it and commented immediately saying how much she 'loved' it and could she buy it. The piece in question was unframeable and I said that was so, so she couldn't have it.

A couple of months previously she had told me that she wanted a 'Highland Cattle' with one of the stipulations being that it should have it's tongue up its nose (don't ask) and I had managed to avoid any discussion with her because I really really really do not have any interest in producing that kind of work (most of my work is non-representational abstract and even though I can do stuff like that, I don't like that sort of stuff).

Every single instinct was screaming at me to not progress with the request yet the annoying little yes-man in my head was writing to her and striking a deal even agreeing to do a Nose licking cow in the same style.

She paid me upfront for the two paintings and I did the work, got them framed. They are now sat in my living room.

The problem: I hate both paintings (the nose licker especially) and have been putting off giving them to her. She is now getting angry with me and when we last spoke (via text) it was a curt 'I paid good money for these paintings here's my address, post them to me' (I was going to give them to her at a family get together in January but had to cancel due to illness).

I want to refund the money to her and explain why but my SO is pressuring me to give them to her saying 'you'll never see them again, we need the money'.

Am I being too precious? What would you do in this situation?

SJ
SJWarrington
Forum Newbie

PostRe: Not happy with paintings produced as a commission

by helennock » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:11 pm

Hi SJ,

Personally, I would put it down to experience and abide by your contract and let the work go. I'm assuming images of the work will not reach further than Facebook or similar. You just have to remember that you were letting the client guide the work as apposed to stipulating that the final artistic decisions lie with you (most of us have been there)...and learn from that. Might be worth putting together a terms and conditions doc:)

Best of luck

Helen

http://www.helen-nock.co.uk
helennock
Power User

by SJWarrington » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:43 pm

Thank you for your reply and good advice Helen. I must admit it did feel a bit extreme wanting to destroy the paintings (which is why I decided to write on here instead). I phoned my sister last night to explain how I felt about them. She cannot understand why I feel that way as she loves them (I've sent her photographs). Anyway, I will get them in the post to her and just hope that no one decides they'd like a nose liking cow on their wall too.

Thank you

SJ
SJWarrington
Forum Newbie

by helennock » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:39 pm

That's it..breath out now :P
helennock
Power User